October 3, 2008

play that funky music

i cannot find the words to express the meaning that music has in my life. there are songs that make me weep either because of the way the lyrics are paired with the melody, or- more often- because of the memories that flood my mind each time i hear them. then there are songs that can lift my spirits and relax me no matter how bad my day has been, and songs that make me double over with laughter thinking about how i misheard the words the first time i heard them (like the JLo song that i thought said "think i want to drive your pants -i don't.)

so it has always brought me joy to see lorelei's love for music and ability to remember songs and carry a tune. one prayer i have for my children is that they will have nice enough voices that if they love to sing they don't have to wait until they are alone in their cars to belt out their favorite songs like their mommy does. i was always so disappointed with the fact that i could dance pretty well, had a love for musical theater, but didn't have the voice to take me beyond being a chorus girl. yep- i'm sure that my lack of vocal talent is the ONLY thing that came between me and broadway ;)

everett is still a bit young to show whether he will have such a passion for music, but this week i started to see a real connection. sweet rett is so busy these days, always pulling up and cruising around while holding on to furniture, and he just loves his mobility. therefore-- he has been very unhappy when strapped into his carseat lately. the entire time we are driving in the car, he is either crying, screaming, or hollering, "nana nana nana!"

so the other day while jeremy was driving, everett was wailing, and lorelei was covering her ears, i remembered something that worked while he was a newborn. i reached down and grabbed my rent soundtrack, popped it in, and started the song Seasons of Love. he heard the first note of the song, and he became silent. i've been doing it every day now, and it always works. only that song- but as soon as it begins, he calms down, gets quiet and turns his head to look out the window and relax. i love it! praise god it is a song i enjoy and not something that will get stuck in my head and keep me up at night like the 2 line songs sweet lulu sometimes sings like a broken record.

1 comments:

Tiffany said...

driving pants, huh....you are too funny! I feel the same way about music, and hope that Cohen has a voice like Steven's. look forward to seeing you soon.