October 13, 2008

where the green grass grows


i am not a pessimist, an optimist or a realist. i am the worst kind of "ist" a person can be. i am an idealist. that means that i tend to build things up- like people, events or projects to be so grand in my mind that the real thing can never live up to my dream. then, i am ultimately disappointed and find myself often giving in to the "grass is always greener" way of thinking.

don't get me wrong... i always know that i am blessed and that my momentary struggles are nothing compared to those of most, but today is a day when i'm particularly thankful as i begin counting my blessings.

* this time last year, i was pregnant and miserable- looking like i swallowed the halloween pumpkin. but this year, i have the sweetest baby boy to show for it. last week, with a face full of yogurt, he looked right at me and muttered, "mama" for the first time! (see picture)
* this time last year, i had a sweet, smart 2 year old who was being tested for some terrifying medical conditions. but this year she is even sweeter and smarter, completely healed, and watching her take on the role of big sister in such a loving way has brought me enormous joy!
* this time last year, i was missing my sister and praying for my brother in law as he served in iraq. now i'm still missing them both but incredibly grateful that ryan came home safely and they have been reunited.
* my mom was constantly busy and stressed, and although usually surrounded by people i knew she was lonely. now, she is still quite busy and stressed for different reasons, but she's happier than i've seen her in a long time.
* my in-laws were in pflugerville and still waiting on a job transfer 3 years after they asked for it. now they live 5 minutes away, and we could not be happier to have so much time with them and the help they provide.

ok- you get the idea, but i'm just so thankful for all these answered prayers along with the fact that i have a great job, even better friends and the best family ever. thank you, jesus!

3 comments:

Alison said...

What a wonderful difference a year makes! And that little boy is such a sweetheart! So glad he was not a pumpkin after all.;)

Kyna said...

Well said, my friend!

Jill said...

i just saw that kylie tagged you in her blog... so where is your post??